Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Meal Binder, Maybe...

Well, it's been a few days. I'd like to say that I have something new to report, but I don't. Not in the productive sort of way, that is. Lots of thinking, though. I will say that I have kept up with my new paperwork system, mostly. I have a few bills on my desk *gasp* that haven't been put in the bill binder, yet. I know. I'm so going to do that as soon as I'm done here......I promise.

I have made the decision that I will have a binder set. I have my finance binder and the Big Binder. I would like another one just for Dad's stuff. I'm not a hundred percent on that one, though. Part of me is thinking that maybe a spiral notebook with some tabs would work, too. I'll let you know how it ends up. I am not a hundred percent on whether or not to have a binder just for food. So maybe I haven't made the decision. lol

Let's talk about a food binder for a minute. How do you keep your recipes? I have tried several methods over the years. There was a folder, a binder, cards, notebooks, and a recipe box style. The recipe box style is the one that I have now. Essentially, I have large index cards and little sticky dividers for the categories.


I just used one of those little Rubbermaid type containers that snaps up over the handles. It travels well and is easy to use. Also, it stands up to a toddler who thinks she needs to stand on every single thing in the kitchen. This is a HUGE plus around here. 


And here is a shot of my lovely index cards. I love the big ones. I am trying to get them all laminated. It's a work in progress. Aren't all things? I don't fill it with recipes to make or all of someone else's favorite recipes. I only add recipes that have been tried and that we love. 

For my binder, I am trying to consider if I need one section for the Big Binder or a separate binder. Categories could be: shopping, meal planning, favorite meals (maybe a couple of one week schedules).....after that I'm kind of drawing a blank. I'll have to think on it more.

In other news, we are having winter. I know, what a shock! lol It was 70 degrees F yesterday and today we have this:


Snow, right? Nope, that is a fresh blanket of sleet. Our town is pretty good about getting the roads clear so it really shouldn't bog things up too much.  I like it. I don't have anywhere to be right now, so really I kind of love it. We're all warm and toasty in here. And of course, cold outside leads to yarny goodness inside!


The littlest miss has been carrying on about needing me to make her socks. We settled for slippers. They are faster. So here's the first slipper and she seems pretty happy about it. Let's see how long the second one takes to get done. 

Well, hubby says I'm a loud typer and he's giving me the evil eye so that is all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment