Tuesday, January 19, 2010

No Poo: Week 1

So, today I embarked on yet another new idea. I think that perhaps I'm the kind of person who is open to new ideas, but more so if they are not mainstream thinking. I figure in my 31yrs on this planet I have tried pretty much most conventional means of most things, within my financial abilities of course. If they aren't within my financial abilities, then what is the point since I certainly would not be able to continue them. Anyhow, back to my original train of thought. I've been looking into this No Shampoo idea for about a year now. The last time I bought shampoo and conditioner, and of course they were pretty much industrial sized, I decided that when they ran out I would give this new idea a try. My hair has become fried over the years. It feels like straw and is frizzy whether I blow dry it or not. Although, it does look better when I don't blow dry. So, I am using the information off http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html#why ,a blog with lots of No Poo info. Anyhow the idea is to use baking soda and apple cider vinegar to clean your hair. I have heard many great things about this like how manageable, untangley, soft and natural your hair ends of being. I know that pregnancy hormones is not necessarily the best time to give this a go, but I figure if I start now that I can figure out what method and all that jazz that works for me instead of trying to figure it all out sleep deprived (or more sleep deprived than normal, lol). So that's the new thing. I'll keep track of my trials and results here. This is day one, week one. I used the method of mixing 1.5Tbsp baking soda with 1.5C warm water. It seemed to go ok. They have another method, which is to mix 1Tbsp of bs with just a smidgen of water to make a paste and rub it in. I thought I would try that next time. They recommend only washing your hair 2-3x a week as that is all you should need. That's pretty much all I do anyhow, even though hubby thinks it's weird and all, because otherwise I dry my hair out even more and who needs that.

And here I am, day one, air dried. LOTS of curls. More than normal. When I blow dry it, it is straight and looks dry and straw like. When I let it air dry, it usually has a bit of body but not much curl. Excuse the look on my face; I just woke up from a too short nap, lol. When I went in the bathroom I had tons of curls. I've got lots of hope for this experiment. I combed my hair when I got out of the shower and before I put it up in a towel. I think it looks cute, although a little haywire, lol. Keep in mind, though, that I slept on it out of the towel before taking this pic. Also, it's a little fuzzy because the batteries in my camera are dying. I'll have to get hubby to grab me some more tonight. That's all for now, folks!!

2 comments:

  1. You could try this too-when your hair is wet in the shower, flip it upside down (carefully pregnant momma!) Scrunch it up to squeeze some water out. Then in a T-shirt or a pillowcase, set your hair down on it and tie the shirt/pillowcase up like a doo rag. It will increase curl, decrease frizz. Check out jessicurl.com and look at "plunking" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Bethany!! I'm going to have to check this out. I had naturally curly hair as a kid, but as I started dying it and whatnot it has just turned to frizz. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete